Welcome to Ashikaga!!
- The Outline of the City
- The charter for Ashikaga Citizens
- City Tree, Flower, Bird, Emblem
- Sister and Friendship City
- Tourist Information
Ashikaga is the city which is blessed with rich nature such as Watarase River and mountain range. It also has great history and culture symbolized with Ashikaga Gakko and Bannaji Temple.
The city is well known for its textiles since the old times, but in recent years it turned into a commercial and industrial city specializing in aluminum, machinery metals, and plastic engineering.
The city lies 80 kilometers away to the north of Tokyo, and is bordered by Sano city on the east, Kiryu city on the west, Ota and Tatebayashi city, Gunma Pref. on the south.
The Population of the city is approximately 142,000. It covers an area of about 178 square kilometers.
The city has sister city relation with Kamakura city in Japan and Springfield city in the United States and friendship city relation with Jining city in China.
We love Ashikaga, the city of industry and learning with rich culture and nature from the bottom of our hearts. In order to form a more attractive and affluent city, we establish this charter for Ashikaga citizens.
- Ashikaga is the city holding the oldest school in Japan.
Let's cultivate our minds, make our town advanced in culture and develop our great tradition more.
- Ashikaga is a beautiful town.
Let's cherish our affluent nature and make our town clean and healthy.
- Ashikaga is a town of goodwill.
With mutual understanding and trust, let's support each other for our happiness.
- Ashikaga is a town filled with hope.
Let's have a happy home and give our children, who succeed next generation, hope.
- Ashikaga is a town always developing.
Let's make our town vigorous and harmonized with the progress of the days through hard work and ideas by many people.
- City Tree, City Flower, and City Bird
City Tree: Ginkgo tree
City Flower: Wisteria
- City Bird: Spot-billed duck
- City Emblem
- The emblem which was adopted as the former town emblem on January 14,1914 has been used as the city emblem since the city's incorporation on January 1, 1921.
In kojiki, the oldest Japanese book Yamato Takeru-no-Mikoto, a legendary hero is mentioned. Because of the legend that his son, Ashikagami Wake-no kimi who is said to rule Ashikaga area the city emblem has the shape of an old Kagami, a holy mirror for its outline and a Chinese character read Ashi in the center.
Ashikaga City Emblem
Our sister cities are Kamakura City and Springfield, Illinois (USA).
Kamakura City is a city associated with the Ashikaga clan and Ashikaga Gakko.
Springfield is the state capital of Illinois and the hometown of the 16th American President, Abraham Lincoln with long history.
Our friendship city is the hometown of Confucius, who revered in Ashikaga Gakko, Jining (China).
Kamakura / Japan
Concluded in April 1982
Jining / China
Concluded in September 1984
Springfield Illinois / U.S.A
Concluded in October 1990
- Tochigi Prefecture (Foreign Language)
- Ashikaga International Association
- Information on Daily Life (TIA site)